We chose three main areas of a mountain
(resort) to demonstrate the core functionalities for this concept
prototype. Some of the thoughts behind the idea are described below.
This is by no means a comprehensive list but should reveal some
of the research that was conducted. The functionalities are not
only geared towards a general 'riding' public but also to instructors,
guides, rescue teams, and maintenance staff.
Riding the park. It's all about jibbin' those rails, getting air
in the pipe, and throwing some kick flips!
* Most riders/skiers wants a picture or video of themselves to show
off their tricks.
* Skateboarding, Snowboarding, Skiing, Mountain biking show all
the elements of freestyle.
* Cell phone penetration amongst riders (in particular in Europe)
is extremely high.
* Personalization is important. Stencils, stickers, or graffiti
on gear and clothing is a common sight.
* Movement analysis for snowboarding instructors. If you see yourself
you can better determine what you do wrong.
Functionality: Transmit images to a display embedded in the jacket
Hitting the slopes. It's all about riding well-groomed terrain with
* Riders/skiiers want to know where their friends/family members
are when they got separated.
* Unfamiliarity with the terrain often causes problems in determining
* Real-time information about slope conditions and lifts can make
the experience on the mountain more pleasant.
* Simple communication is enough: Let's go in, I'm hungry, I got
hurt, Let's meet here, ...
Functionality: Locate your posse, communicate, and receive location
Hiking the backcountry. It's about untouched lines, fresh powder,
and the silence of the snow.
* Dehydration, altitude sickness, and exhaustion are common problems.
* Avalanches are a constant thread.
* Unknown territory can cause accidents; i.e. crevasses, cliffs,
Functionality: Monitor biometric data to increase performance levels
and improve safety